Sunday, September 12, 2010

What I Learned from my Mindmap

The mindmap project has been the first hand made project I have done since I can remember. Between school and my work I have always used computers. This mindset gives you a comfort zone of having text and spell check and basically makes you feel like you have complete control. But when I started the mindmap I realized how overwhelming it was.

Every letter, every line I drew was coming from my hand. It became about my hand eye coordination, not about my skills with computers and knowledge of formatting.  I became obsessed with planning it out because I was afraid to make mistakes, the fact that I was writing something permanent really scared me, but I soon found it freeing. It gave me the mentality of freedom, that I would have to let stuff go. I usually obsess over writing for my blogs because I always have the option to edit.



 Another feeling that came from this project was the sense of accomplishment. Seeing that paper filled with words and images felt much better than seeing a post written on my site. I felt a much more personal connection to my work because it was actually drawn by hand, not through a program. Overall, I learned that sometimes its nice to work offline and actually create something in the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment