Tuesday, September 28, 2010

SMU pride, a recent discovery

Last week was the infamous football rivalry game between TCU and SMU. I used to not think too much of school spirit, but that weekend really showed me something I didnt know about the school. The "beat tcu" campaign was so strong around campus that it really put a feeling of community into the game. You could see that phrase posted on buildings, on posters around campus, and even in teachers' power point slides. The school gathered to show their support against TCU, even though the odds of winning were slim.


My dad came into town for the weekend and I brought him to the boulevard before the game. As you saw the entire campus in red and cheering it really made me feel like I became part of something greater over the year here. This event truly showed the power of a common goal and how people can really set aside differences and get along. It didn't matter if people were in a rival Greek organization, or even not in one at all, people were still talking and cheering for the same team. 
I guess I'm trying to say that sometimes the power of community is hard to see unless you witness an event like the boulevard before the game, but it is always there.

No comments:

Post a Comment