Wednesday, October 6, 2010

What if: I wasnt a geek

Yesterday I was reading a web comic in class about two gamers who are living together. I find it really entertaining because so much of it relates to the conversations I have with my friends. While reading it my friend sitting next to me said that she couldn't get any of the comments and asked why I found it so entertaining. It then hit me how hard it would be to explain all the references that have been made by this comic. All these things that are just in my memory are completely missed by this girl. I found that really fascinating.
This got me thinking about how different my life would be if I wasn't geeky. I spend most of my time working online and with computers, and its crazy for me to think what life would be if I just didn't have that knowledge. But then again people who know about other stuff probably couldn't imagine what life would be like without that. For example, is a sports fan didn't know the name and stats of every player on their favorite football team they would probably think it would be the end of the world.
Its these multiple knowledge bases that make human thought so interesting. If ten people are given a problem to solve they will each reach into what they already know and make a decision based on that. That would lead to ten completely different answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment