Wednesday, December 1, 2010

You mean there are still magazines?

I recently had to do a project where I needed to find articles on a subject I am interested in and write about them. This seemed like an easy assignment until I read that they had to come from a magazine and not the internet. This shocked me because I thought we got over this whole "internet not be being a credible source" like 7 years ago.

Project, a magazine created by the Virgin group, is the first of its kind to be iPad only. This new creation is truly blurring the lines between print and digital, and I believe to be the future of the magazine industry. I brought this to my professor and they still scoffed about it being an "internet source".

I couldn't believe the resistance this teacher had to technology, and how set they were in their old ways. If this professor ran a company I guarantee you it would be on the brink of bankruptcy. Professors should be the beacons of adaptation, taking their knowledge and using new techniques to teach it. It was at this point I realized how different generations thought. Here was someone who was not connected to the internet, and probably has no idea of the exponential changes it has received in the last ten years.

If more people could learn to adapt to changing ways instead of clinging to tradition, I feel like our world could innovate much faster. At our current trend we ramp up when generations shift, but then slow back to a crawl while one has power.

PROJECT magazine demo - issue 1 from PROJECT on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment